Thursday 21 June 2012

Tea Time Thursday: Rooibos: Birthday Cake!!


Rooibos Tea: Birthday Cake

Ingredients: Red and green rooibos, honeybush, sprinkles, ice cream bits, natural and artificial flavoring.




Cake flavoured tea?! Who knew these things existed?! David’s Tea came out with a line of Cake themed teas which include: Carrot Cake, Ice Cream Cake, Chocolate Cake, Strawberry Shortcake and Birthday Cake. I figured I’d start with Birthday Cake.

First off, there’s real sprinkles in this tea…that’s how surreal it is! When I opened the packet, I immediately get a waft of sweetness. It reminds of a vanilla maple syrup donut - so it’s kind of cake smelling.

The first time I brewed the tea - I guess I didn’t let it steep long enough because it really didn’t get much flavour - it was like sweet water mostly. So the second time around I just left the tea in as I drank (with rooibos tea this is a common practice as rooibos doesn’t get dark and bitter).

It’s got a nice soft flavour to it that goes down smooth and with the sprinkles it has just the right amount of sweetness. This is a perfect guilty pleasure tea without all the real guilt that accompanies a big slice of cake.


Overall: 4/5 Hot cups of tea!
It’s delicious, while it doesn’t perfectly replicate a cake taste, it’s pretty close. 

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, that does sound good! I love that it has the sprinkles in it too!

    ReplyDelete

Background Labs