Thursday 27 December 2012

Tea Time Thursday: Oolong Tea: Happy Kombucha



Oolong Tea: Happy Kombucha

Ingredients: Oolong tea, pineapple cubes, mango cubes, mango, pineapple, Kombucha Powder, safflower petals, artificial flavouring.



     After a long hiatus I'm finally back to doing Tea Time Thursday, and I was lucky enough to get a few DAVIDsTea samples in the mail from Karen at For What It's Worth reviews and this first one that I decided to try was the perfect mid winter pick me up (it's been -30C/-22F for the past week *burrrr*). 

     I had no idea what Kombucha is...so I Googled it and came up with this explanation: a symbiotic relationship of Yeast and Bacteria that ferments in a sweetened tea - could be slightly alcoholic but then I came up with this conflicting search that it might actually be dried kelp which makes just as much sense. Either way I think these might turn normal people off this tea, but the good news is that it's DELICIOUS! If there is yeast/bacteria (which is likely probiotic and good for you anyways) or kelp I couldn't even tell that it was in there. 

     The Oolong's earthy bitter flavor is prominent but tempered by the sweetness of all the dried fruit. Together it kind of tastes like the Trident Wild Strawberry and Tangy Citrus Layers gum (I don't know why all these teas taste like some kind of gum to me, I chew a lot of gum apparently). No sugar is required (it's too sweet if you do) and it's much better hot than cold. Just be sure not too over-steep this tea or it will become bitter and leave that weird coating in your mouth from the tannins. 


Overall: 4/5 Hot Cups of Tea
This is delicious sipping tea that I don't think I'd ever get tired of, right up there with Pineapple Oolong.
David's Tea markets this as a hippy/hipster resurgence tea so...mellow out dudes?

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background Labs